This website has been tested with all 3 major browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox) and works with all of them. If you are having troubles with IE, make sure that you are using the latest version, which is currently 11. If you are not using IE 11, you should upgrade immediately as Microsoft has recently found a serious security flaw which can allow an attacker to take over your computer. If you are running Windows XP and cannot upgrade your version of IE, you should download either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Both are free.
If you are using IE 11 and are experiencing problems with the site, for example not being able to see the map on the home page make sure that you are not viewing the site in compatibility mode. To check on this, select the tools menu (the gear in the upper right of the window) and then select "Compatibility View settings". Make sure that montana.edu is not included in the list of sites to be viewed in compatibility mode. If it is, select it and click "Remove".
For the best browsing experience we recommend using Google Chrome.
First time log in
After clicking on the link in the email sent when an account is created for you, click on the "Click here to Log in" link. This will take you to the normal log in page. Logging in will take you to a page for providing your contact information. All information on this page should be supplied. You only need to supply one phone number, if your cell phone is your primary phone, you should enter it in the field labelled "Main Phone". Once this information has been filled out to your satisfaction, click save. This information will be used by the project to contact you should the need arise. Once this information has been been saved, click on the "Back to Fields" link at the bottom of the form to begin creating the fields you will be reporting on.
YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CONTINUE UNTIL THIS INFORMATION IS SUPPLIED.
From the "My Fields" page, click on the "Create New Field" button. This will take you to a page which allows you to enter data about a field. The following information will be required:
- Field Name. This can be any name you wish, it is best if it is something that you can remember easily. "Back 40" is better than "1".
- Latitude and longitude. This is the latitude and longitude of the field. You can easily get this by installing a GPS status app on your iPhone or Android device. The latitude and longitude can be entered in either decimal degrees or degrees minutes seconds format. We do our best to parse this and convert it to decimal degrees, but you may need to use one of the many online conversion utilities, a good one can be found at http://rcn.montana.edu/Resources/Converter.aspx. If all you have a degrees, minutes and seconds the preferred format to enter this data is dd mm ss[NSEW]. For example a postition of 48° 11' 21"N 112° 8' 4"W would be entered as 48 11 21N 112 8 4W. The same position in decimal degrees would be entered as 48.189414 -114.134712. The absence/presence of a − sign denotes N/S or E/W.
- County. This should be the county that the field is located in, not your country of residence.
- Environment. Choose dry land if the field is not irrigated, or irrigated if it is.
- Past infestation. Check this if you have had problems with wheat midge infestation in this field in the past.
Click save once you have filled out the requested information and a field will be created. Once this has been done you will be able to enter the crop history for the field and information about the traps which have been deployed in that field.
To enter a new crop click on the "Create New Crop" button. You will then be able to enter the year (please use 4 digits) and the crop. Note that information for only a single year can be entered, but multiple crops can be entered separated by commas. To save this information click on the "Update" button. To cancel, click on the "Cancel" button.
To enter a new trap click on the "Create New Trap" button. You need to enter a unique id for the trap and the latitude and longitude for the trap as well as an environment type. Latitude and longitude are entered in the same manner as when entering them for a field. Note that only the trap id field is required to enter a new trap.
From the "My Account" menu item, choose "My Traps". If you are logging in for the second or subsequent time, you will be taken to this page automatically after logging in. To enter data for a trap, click on the "Enter Data" button to the right of the trap information. This will take you to a page which allows you to enter data for that trap.
Entering an observation
On the trap data page, click the "Create New Count" button. You then have the ability to enter an observation. An observation consists of the date of the observation, the number of midges observed, and the crop state on that date. Click on the "Update" button to save this data. Remember, if you make a mistake, you can edit an observation by clicking the "Edit" button to the right of the observation to be changed.